We all know that a new paint color can completely transform a tired old room. But by painting stripes on walls, that effect is intensified. It’s a way to introduce a whole palette of inspiring colors and create a graphic effect that makes an unforgettable statement worthy of a top interior designer. It’s an easy look to achieve with our simple step-by-step guide.
How to paint stripes on your wall - you will need:
Make your colour choices.
A roller and tray
Ball of string
- Narrowed it down to a few shades
- Apply your background color first. Once the paint is completely dry, you’re ready to create your stripes.
- Decide on the position of your stripes, then chalk out your lines. Measure down from the ceiling and mark a few dashed pencil lines using the tape measure. Next, rub chalk along a length of string. Stretch the string across the wall and secure it with masking tape at each end. Check the string is straight, then ping it to leave a chalk line across the wall. Repeat for the top and bottom of each stripe.
- Apply a strip of masking tape to each line of chalk, framing the outer edges of your stripes.
- Using your roller and tray, apply the stripes. For a perfect finish, make sure you go just over the edge of the masking tape.
- Wait until the paint is still slightly wet, then peel away the masking tape to reveal your two-tone wall.
Looking for more inspiration for how to paint stripes on a wall? Explore the beautiful horizontal striped wall paint ideas in these stunning rooms…
A striped wall paint idea using playful tones to energize the room
The horizontal stripes are a bold way to bring color into a room and make a real statement in your home. Choose bright but offbeat shades like intense powder pink and mustard yellow, tempered by the soothing tones of Colour of the Year 2020, Tranquil Dawn. This scheme mixes regular stripes at the top of the wall with a solid band of color on the lower wall, to increase the playful effect. Colorful accessories complete this look.
How to paint stripes on a wall for a fun yet sophisticated look
This space balances playful elements with an overall sense of sophistication. A horizontal striped wall paint idea balances graphic irregular stripes with a calming color combination of a soft cream and the Colour of the Year, Tranquil Dawn.
This serene space is warmed by tones of terracotta pink, soft coral and mustard yellow while a striped monochrome rug adds impact to the mix.
Painting stripes on wallsto create an intense and moody atmosphere
This restful bedroom shows the benefits of being bold with color to make an unusual but beautiful statement. The walls are divided into three stripes of varying widths to reference the idea of a picture rail. A rich navy covers most of the wall, with lush green to the top bordered by a defining stripe of Colour of the Year 2020, Tranquil Dawn.
Sumptuous fabrics combined with accessories in the colors of jewels and precious metals create a bedroom that’s perfect for decadent daydreams.
J8.19.33 50GY 13/136
J5.03.71 45GY 55/052
U0.10.20 46BB 08/059
Painting stripes on walls for a tranquil and airy look
In this calming nursery, tonal stripes in the palest neutral shades create a mood that’s simple and serene without being dull. Using softest blue on the lower wall and Colour of the Year, Tranquil Dawn above. Warm woods and cozy throws in complementary colors complete the look.
J5.03.71 45GY 55/052
ON.01.70 00NN 53/000
S4.04.62 90BG 41/040
Take a look at how to create stripes here